Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Sultans Of Sleaze

So Saturday night, Ocean Club had this awesome local's night which features bands from around the area as well as some pretty cool bartenders. Headlining that night was this kick ass band BLORR. BLORR features Chris "Cookie Sugahips" Hess and Adam "Hot Damm Huckleberry" Winn. They are not your average Jax Beach local band which usually consists of either reggae or 80's cover music. BLORR has an unique sound of their own. With their live sets meant to be more of an experience with their Karen O (Yeahyeahyeah's) inspired costumes, everyone in the crowd is in for a treat. But don't let the costumes distract you because these are two very talented musicians. After a night fueled by groovy tunes and dollar champagne of beers I got to sit down with the members of BLORR. Here's how it went:

Freezerjams- So we have Cookie Sugahips and Hot Damm Huckleberry Winn. What's the story behind these "stage names"?

BLORR- Basically we wanted something really sweet and sassy. Huckelberry Winn came because I always wear cut-off shorts like Huckleberry Finn and Hot Damm just sets it off. We were just searching for something really ridiculous just like the name of our band, BLORR.

F- Well how did the name Bastard Lovechild Of Rock n' Roll come about?

B- Back when I (Cookie) was recording alone without a drummer I was thinking of crazy tattoos that would be a gospel-esk ridiculous name. Something as ridiculous as me playing music. That's when I came up with Bastard Lovechild Of Rock n' Roll. And then I was like that's too nice, I need something to mix it up with. So I added Bastard.

F- So "Bastard" has nothing to do with your childhood?

B- No, no I love my parents very much even though I was a victim of divorce and it shattered my adolescence......just kidding of course.

F- I understand that you guys just got back from touring places such as L.A. and New York City. How was that?

B- Well actually New York was one of our favorite places we played. It was cool because we don't know many people there but people came out and went crazy. I had fans crawling on my back at the Brooklyn show. Even though Brooklyn was a very scary and nerve-racking show because people were crossing their arms ina pretentious way, we felt the love of the fans by the end of the show through actions like crawling on my back. And we fell in love with the city. And the same story goes with L.A. the fans were just as rowdy there.

F- What's going on with L.A. and Nike Motel No Tell?

B- I've (Hot Damm) worked for Nike for about a year and a half now. And they asked me to move to California to do the blog and webpage for the Motel No Tell. Which is basically a renovated motel used for events and shows. Part of the deal was if you help us we will build you a jam room and you can record in there, which we agreed to immediately. Nike has been amazing to us from letting us record there to using their van for touring and gas money.

F- Future of BLORR? What do you guys have in store for us?

B- Well we recently recorded 4 new songs at the Motel No Tell. After our Florida shows, we will be moving to California at the end of the month. Gonna meet some new people and do our own thing and see what happens out of that. We plan on coming back to Florida monthly because we just love everyone here.

F- So if we were to take a ride in your guy's car right now, what would I expect to hear?

B- I (Hot Damm) would most likely be listening to Dan Auerbach or The Black Keys. They get you through tough times. I (Cookie) just recently got a copy of Robin Pecknold from the Fleet Foxes live acoustic show. Which makes me wanna quit music. The new Girls album is pretty rad as well. Anything Stevie Nicks, in my past life I was her lover and then I died of a drug overdose. Also T-Rex of course. We pretty much jam out to the same stuff.

BLORR plans on putting out an EP by the end of the year. To stay up to date with these two sassy gentlemen visit their blog or myspace or facebook or twitter, as well as here in the freezer. Oh of course, I almost forgot, they are playing a show at Square One on October 14th. So be there or don't ever come back to the freezer again (but seriously). Now enjoy a couple of songs by BLORR, two of which are more of there electro side and the other one is Sugahips ripping it up on the guitar.

BLORR- My Terrific Tush
BLORR- Little Black Boots
BLORR- Attention
(right click & save to download)

-B. Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment